Sign in to follow this  
Mastered

do zooes still held a purpose?

10 posts in this topic

Ya some zoos may have some educational lessons to it but at what cost is that being spent? Animal cruelty dont you think? i rember in grade 6 we had trip to the zoo other students in my class & me mocked the animals and ignored the educational signs every1 was suppose to read my point is that they are just a breading ground and hold no important use yes you can say some animal are going extinct. they help control population rate but thats not the case for every animal in the zoo? when do you hear stuff in the news how zoos are saving the population of a certain species.......?

Zoos are a tradition, and a visit to a zoo is a wholesome, family activity. Seeing an animal in person is a much more personal and more memorable experience than seeing that animal in a nature documentary. Zoos brings humans and animals together. They educate humans and foster an appreciation of the animals. This exposure and education motivates people to protect the animals. Zoos save endangered species by bringing them into a safe environment, where they are protected from poachers, habitat loss, starvation, and last but not least - predators. Many zoos also have what they call breeding programs, which are mainly used for endangered species. In the wild, a lot of animals do have trouble finding mates and breeding. Many zoos provides an enriched habitat, in which the animals are never bored, are well cared for, and have plenty of space. Oh, zoos also help rehabilitate wildlife and take in exotic pets that humans no longer want or are no longer able to care for.

Some would argue that humans have little, if any duty to non-human animals, because humans are more important, and if keeping animals in zoos serves any educational or entertainment purposes, we can ethically do it.

57 minutes ago, Jim Carroll said:

Zoos are a tradition, and a visit to a zoo is a wholesome, family activity. Seeing an animal in person is a much more personal and more memorable experience than seeing that animal in a nature documentary. Zoos brings humans and animals together. They educate humans and foster an appreciation of the animals. This exposure and education motivates people to protect the animals. Zoos save endangered species by bringing them into a safe environment, where they are protected from poachers, habitat loss, starvation, and last but not least - predators. Many zoos also have what they call breeding programs, which are mainly used for endangered species. In the wild, a lot of animals do have trouble finding mates and breeding. Many zoos provides an enriched habitat, in which the animals are never bored, are well cared for, and have plenty of space. Oh, zoos also help rehabilitate wildlife and take in exotic pets that humans no longer want or are no longer able to care for.

Some would argue that humans have little, if any duty to non-human animals, because humans are more important, and if keeping animals in zoos serves any educational or entertainment purposes, we can ethically do it.

yofb4tbYT8_Mknyw9kxijg.png

(thinking)

He was looking for good answers for some assignment or whatever, I just told him to search on Google and find an answer which he agreed on, but then re-write it in his own words. He asked me to help him find a good answer, so I did - although, I would say that answer I posted is more of an answer/opinion that I agreed on related to Mastered's question, rather than a good answer. I may, however, give my own personal opinion on this later. 

Edited by Jim Carroll

Hmm.. is the question you are actually trying to ask "Do zoos play a vital part in ex situ conservation? Or are zoos morally wrong to extort animals for money? 

Can species survive without the efforts of ex situ conservation? 

Benefits of in situ vs ex situ.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this